Monthly Archives: October 2015
Texas Monthly BBQ
Hunter’s [Full] Moon
Paid YouTube? I guess that’s reasonable. We already pay for quite a bit of online entertainment – Netflix, Hulu, Spotify etc. Why not YouTube too.
I used to not have a TV when I first came here from Bangladesh. I didn’t really have the time or, this is more important, the money to afford it. I did have a phone and a long distance carrier and I paid a lot of money for that combination. I didn’t really have a choice.
Today I (my family) have a couple of TVs (with satelite service), 4 mobile phones and a few online entertainment services. My average costs today compared to 27 years ago is not that very different. Specially if I take inflation into account and the fact that there is 4 of us being entertained, informed or connected.
But . . . . something doesn’t feel right.
2016 US Presidential Election
Oct 15th, 2016
We are now just over 3 weeks away from the election. What ever the outcome of this election turns out to be, there will be some significant head scratching following it. There better be some head scratching, some real reflection.
How did we get here?
Oct 23rd, 2015
- Feb 27th, ’16 – South Carolina (Dem)
- Feb 23rd, ’16 – Nevada (GOP)
- Feb 20th, ’16 – Nevada (Dem), South Carolina (GOP)
- Feb 9th, ’16 – New Hampshire
- Feb 1st, ’16 – Iowa Caucus
- Nov 6th, ’15 – Second Democratic Debate (Rock Hill, South Carolina,
- Oct 23rd, ’15 – Lincoln Chafee drops out of Democratic primary race
- Oct 20th, ’15 – Jim Webb drops out of Democratic primary race
- Oct 13th, ’15 – First Democratic Debate (Las Vegas, Nevada, CNN)
- GOP Primaries
- Democratic Primaries
Intention is important. Doing the “right” thing with the “wrong” intent could be as bad as doing the “wrong” thing. It’s the “intent” that we communicate. And it is in communicating the intent that we lie / deceive.
Playboy today announced that it would no longer be publishing / printing fully nude pictures. Seems like Playboy is doing it for business reasons (which is perfectly fine for an enterprise). If the business reason also means doing the right thing – yay!!!
Internationalization vs localization
Dropbox File Sharing
Dropbox is more than just for file sharing, but here I am only treating it as a tool to share files between computers over the internet.
The service is FREE to use for upto 2Gb.
- Download (for PC, Mac, Linux and iPhone) – a small application that has to be downloaded and installed on the PCs / hosts where files will be shared from.
- Install – the application, when installed, will create a folder on the local host that can be used just as if it is a local folder (in fact it is a local folder). Dropbox will “share” that folder with other users (with the proper access privilege)
Pros: Platform independent,
Cons: None available at this time.
With Windows, OS X and Linux all running on x86 processors, it is only natural to want to run all the OSs on the same hardware.
- hostname / machine identity