I am looking to get a 50mm lens for my D700. I have been “borrowing” my friend’s for a while now, but I am starting to feel a little guilty (also, I am not going to deny, am in a bit of “toy buying mode”).
In any case, I knew there were a few choices but was not expecting so many. Now I am in a “compare” mode.
Right now I am leaning ever so slightly towards the 1.4D. My reasoning so far (though I haven’t actually held a 1.4D in my hand):
- Less expensive than the 1.4G
- Smaller / Lighter than the 1.4G but looks more sturdy (less plastic, more metal)
- I am not finding a whole lot of negative on the 1.4D or a whole lot of positive (overwhelming) on the 1.4G
A lot of people seem to really like the 1.8G (it IS significantly less expensive), but it seems a bit bigger then the 1.4D (almost as large as the G) but weighs the least of the 3.
I guess I should note that I do have a 35mm f/2 (Manual Lens) on long term loan from my friend which is just as good as any of the ones I am looking at. But, it is:
- Manual focus (which is not as big a deal)
- Unable to meter on my D700
Related articles etc: