It’s been in the rumor mill for some time but finally in November 2020 Apple made the official announcement – Apple Introduced the M1 processor and the very first batch of hardware based on it.
Not exactly sure what all the advantages of the new chip is, but I do feel it is here to stay. And with that I went ahead and got myself a laptop running the new M1 processor. It’s a MacBook Air with 16 Gb of memory and 500 Gb of flash storage. My initial plan is to avoid the Rosetta Translation Environment – as long as I can. I am running into a few issues and am trying to find workarounds. We’ll see how far I get.
Now that I have got my MacBook Pro, of course the first thing on my mind is the next upgrade ;~) The following are both on my mind:
- Solid State Drive – replace the current 5400RPM 500Gb for either of the 3 choices – 128Gb, 256Gb or 512Gb
- Memory – from the current 4Gb to 8Gb – this should make VMs a better experience (not that I have tried any VM on the current system)
Not necessarily in any order, but the 512Gb drive is a $1,200 upgrade whereas the memory is more of an expense of $200. So, of course I want to get the drive first but will get the memory instead.
I exchanged the other MacBook Pro I got less than 2 weeks ago
Got myself a Mac Book Pro (13″).
I was really hoping to have Blu-Ray and USB 3.0. Though I could have easily gotten a non-Mac laptop with similar spec for at least half as much money, I still went with the Mac Book for the following reasons:
- I really have been wanting a Mac
- I have become interested in trying some iPhone / iPad development (which apparently can ONLY be accomplished with Xcode – which in turn is ONLY available on OS X)
Since getting the device I have made the following updates to it. Items in Green are done / completed, items in Yellow are next on my list and the items in Black are on my list but I haven’t got to them – yet. Items in Red are stuff that I am struggling with :o(
Applications & Tools
- Flickr Uploadr
- Hostname – having a hard time finding a way to do this :o(
Upgrade – Soon after I started the mac, it automatically downloaded and applied updates to the OS