OK, I finally got my Airpods and have been using them for over a week now.
I am still not happy that I had to try so hard to get them. But I am more disappointed that they don’t work nearly as well as Apple had promoted.
- They don’t switch between my Mac (Laptop / Mac Mini / iMac) and my iPhone or Apple Watch
- They don’t switch from my iPhone to my Apple Watch when I am on WiFi
- They do not get picked up by my iPhone everytime
Let me elaborate.
3. They Airpods do not always get paired automatically to my iPhone when I put them “on”. I have to Pair them manually probably 30% of the time. Maybe less, but it definitely feels like I am having to do it way too more frequently than I ought to be.
2. When I have the Airpods paired to my iPhone and am listening to Music from my iPhone or on a Call (yes, I do make / receive phone calls on my iPhone) and am walking around without my iPhone on me but my wearing Apple Watch – I will get disconnected 100% of the time if I walk far enough from my iPhone but am still in WiFi range. It seems to matter not if I initiate the music / phone call from my iPhone or Apple Watch. But I need to try this a bit more. Most of my use has been playing music / initiating the Phone call from my iPhone.
1. This was the primary feature in my mind why I spent so much (time / energy / money) in getting the Airpods in the first place – to be able to seamlessly switch between my Mac(s) (Laptop / Mac Mini / iMac) and my iPhone / Apple Watch. This fails 100% of the time.
OK, time for some positives.
- The charge stays on for a good amount of time. Also, it seems to do a good job of going into power save mode when not actively being used.
- Feels the same to me (sound quality and physically in my ears) as the regular Apple Headphones.
- Pauses Music / Movie if I take off either (or both) of the Airpods. And also resumes soon as I put them back on.
And some neither positive or negative comments.
- They are super expensive. But to their credit – they said how much they were long before they were even available.
- Supply is still very lacking.
- It does seem likely that I will loose them before long 😦
- Apple iPhone 6 running iOS 10.3 (beta)
- MacBook Pro 13″ (Retina, Early 2015) running macOS Sierra
- Mac Mini (Late 2014) running macOS Sierra
- iMac running macOS Sierra
- Apple Watch running watchOS v3.1.3