The kit lens (18-55mm) that came with the D50 is OK but I really want to get something else. Here are some that I am considering:
- 17-35mm f/2.8 2 –
- 20-35mm f/2.8 2 –
- 17-55mm f/2.8 2 – I really like the wide / zoom range of the kit lens and this is the closest. Unfortunately this is also one of the few lenses that I have not been able to rent / borrow. This will probably cost about the same as the 17-35mm, ~$1,450, and I would really hate it if this is notas good. I am trying to see if I can find a used one. If I do, I ‘ll buy it as a trial. If I like it, I’llgo ahead and buy the real thing.
- 28-70mm f/2.8 1 – Gives me a bit more “zoom”, but ONLY a bit more. If I do end up getting the 17-55, I might actually skip this. On the other hand, if I end up getting the 17-35mm I may NOT have a choice but to get this ALSO :o(
- 70-200mm – For that scenic landscape
- 50mm f/1.4 1 – Portraits
- 60mm 1 / 85mm / 105mm Macro – Macros are just soooo much fun ;o)
Unfortunately, none of these (except for the 50mm and the Macro) are any where close to within my budget :o(
Also, I have found that the same lens differ quite drastically in price depending on where it is manufatcured. Lenses made in Japan seem more expensive. But, I’m told, they are also the better ones.
- I have been able to borrow / rent these already
- I have rented a 17-35mm f/2.8 and also a 20-35mm f/2.8D was very happy with the results. My only reservation is the range. It’s too narrow. I might actually go for the 28-70mm instead even though I will loose the widest.